Knowledge is a powerful tool and George Mills, our resident expert Master Mariner is an invaluable asset to dsnm.
Since joining dsnm over a year ago George’s extensive knowledge of regulations (and where to find them!), industry best practice and training has become an extremely valuable source of information for the dsnm team. .
To ensure we don’t keep him all to ourselves, we are now creating a direct link to this resource for our clients; the bridge team will be able to send their questions to firstname.lastname@example.org where George will field questions relating to legislation, publications, bridge procedures or anything else that can’t be answered on board, all as part of the complete dsnm service offering.
George will also be on hand at the Monaco Yacht Show, sharing his knowledge and expertise alongside David and the dsnm team.
One of the most concerning problems George witnesses (onboard various vessel-types) is over-reliance on ECDIS, which, when coupled with weak understanding of the use of safety settings and poor knowledge of symbology, can lead to dangerous situations. Crew members often assume that, once qualified, they cannot or need not go back for more training to boost their knowledge, or seek advice from other professionals. Consequently we have developed a specific Bridge Refresher training course in conjunction with Warsash Maritime Academy which has proved very popular.
For more information please contact email@example.com
MORE ABOUT GEORGE….
George’s credentials are second to none......
- He went to sea on leaving school, gaining worldwide experience
- After eight years he moved into sail training as navigation officer, subsequently earning his unlimited master’s certificate in 1993. Mostly in Lord Nelson (55m three-masted barque) he commanded the sole vessel with physically disabled crew to her only two tall ships race podium finishes.
- Seeking more family time and new challenges, George came ashore in 2004 and began developing a portfolio career in maritime training and inspection. Working with Warsash Maritime and Superyacht Academies (now part of DSNM partner Solent University) he has taught navigation and stability to yacht personnel, cadets and degree students.
- Other training he has provided includes MCA-accredited ISM Lead Auditor and Designated Person, ECDIS and MLC familiarisation, bridge refresher training and MCA orals prep to all levels. Experience in inspection centres mostly on ISM and ISPS internal audits (over eighty), along with navigation assessments.
- George holds a range of qualifications, including the aforementioned unlimited master’s certificate, Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, ISM Lead Auditor and Designated Person, Company Security Officer, ECDIS Inspector and Wärtsilä Navi Sailor 4000 Instructor. He is also a Trustee of the Association of Sail Training Organisations (UK), Sail Training International’s Chief Vessel Safety Inspector and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.